Writing is the most complex language task required of students through schooling. Many students often find writing laborious, and will go to great lengths to avoid writing tasks. In high school, much of the assessment that is conducted is in the form of writing, so it is important to develop these complex language skills. Being a skilled writer is having a skill for life.
Signs of difficulties
• Reluctance to write
• Takes a long time to write the assignment
• Works hard, but with little content
• Writing or language appears immature
• Difficulties think about what to write or where to start
• Difficulties interpreting the question and answering it correctly
• Difficulties with spelling within writing
• Difficulties using language to match the purpose of what is being written
All of these issues can be addressed with specific therapy. At North Shore Speech Therapy, we are familiar with the school curriculum, and tailor our writing therapy to suit school tasks. Students will be taught how to plan their work, how to start a given assignment, how to research, how to structure their writing, and how to fulfil the brief that is required of them.