Language & Learning
So much of learning is based on understanding language. It is typical that students who have weakness in their language foundations will have weakness in their learning.
Some high school students may have very apparent language disorders which have been identified earlier in their schooling. Other students may struggle in more subtle ways to cope with the increasingly sophisticated language use expected of them as they mature.
Signs of difficulties
• Poor comprehension of exam questions
• Difficulty interpreting what is read
• Immature vocabulary and problems learning new words
• Poor written language, so difficulty formulating essays and projects
• Weak skills in English such as interpreting poetry and novels
• Poor comprehension of Science and Maths concepts
• Difficulty maintaining friendships, solving social problems, identifying facts
• Poor interpretation of humour and sarcasm
Students with weakness in these areas are highly likely to also have weaknesses in their written language. Please click HERE to find out more.