Reading & Spelling
School is not meant to be difficult for your child. Did you know that Speech Pathologists can identify children who are at risk for reading and spelling difficulties from preschool age? Even highly intelligent students can have reading and spelling difficulties. There is no reason to ‘Wait and See’ especially when early intervention is the key to efficient remediation.
At North Shore Speech Therapy, we have fully qualified speech and language therapists who can assess dyslexia and reading and spelling difficulties. We run research-based programs to build foundation literacy skills in children of all ages.
Signs of Difficulties
• Reluctant to read or write
• Struggles to remember letters and words when reading or spelling
• Reading is effortful
• Guesses words frequently when reading or spelling
• Reverses letters
• Forgets spelling words
• Writing is slow
• Difficulty sounding out words when reading or spelling
• Difficulty distinguishing between similar-sounding words
The table below outlines the reading and spelling expectations of your child by the end of the year.